Aiming at building the capacity and empowering 800 women farmers in Nyiragongo territory by grouping together the Feminine Agricultural Producing Organizations (OFPA) into cooperatives in order to make a break between emergency aid and the sustainable development phase, ACTIONAID has organized a training for 50 women on the creation and management of cooperatives facilitated by an expert Trainer.
This training took place from February 18 to February 21, 2020 targeting women farmers in the NYIRAGONGO territory gathered in solidarity groups in the great room “Je T'aime of MOMONIGI” and women who are capable of making a restitution to their members of the Women's Agricultural Producing Organizations (OFPA).
Among the objectives of Actionaid are:
- To strengthen the governance of the Women Producing Agricultural Organizations (OFPA),
- Train them on interconnection strategies to organize themselves into cooperatives and master the administrative organization of a cooperative,
- The statute and regulations of internal order,
- Grouping together the Feminine Agricultural Producing Organizations (OFPA) into cooperatives,
- The advantages and prospects for the future and
- Training the OFPA on production techniques and post-harvest management of market gardening crops such as potatoes, cabbage and carrots and
- to develop the concepts of the agricultural value chain of this product and a field practice of planting techniques and seed multiplication as well as rational use of fertilizers and pesticides for agriculture resilient to climate change.
The first day of training was based on the sustainable management of agricultural cooperatives in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the second day on Production technique and post-harvest management of vegetable crops (potato, onion and carrot) which are two days modules adapted to level of study of rural women and the third day was the field agricultural practice.
The participants understood the importance of a regrouping in agricultural organization of cooperative type, the statutes of the cooperative were presented, adopted by all and a follow-up of Actionaid is in place to ensure an effective restitution in all the Women's Organizations agricultural producers (OFPA).